Monday, November 26, 2012

Concepts of Gender

A couple weeks ago, Hannah mentioned that she thinks that she sees three independent traits of people that often are all called "gender." The first was the gender that a person identifies as. The second and third were the extent to which a person does manly things and the extent to which a person does girly things.

The discussion started with Hannah mentioning that her advisor had at some point in the past changed her first name from Katrina to Katrin. The new name still clearly identifies her advisor as a woman, but sounds less girly.

Hannah said that she sees herself as a woman, but generally does not like things that are considered girly. However, she doesn't see herself as a "tomboy" either, since she doesn't tend to like manly things either. The example she gave was athleticism.

As for me, I identify as a man, and I like to think that I do whatever I feel like doing, regardless of whether it's manly or girly. Realistically, though, I'm sure I'm influenced by what society tells me I need to be doing based on my gender. Nonetheless, I cry at movies, and I'm proud of it. (Also plays, and also one particularly touching dance performance.) I also hike up mountains in the snow uphill both ways with ice axes, and I'm proud of that, too.




Summiting the highest point in Arizona at 12,600 feet.
Cooking potatoes for my housemates at Dabney's retreat.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home