Thursday, October 25, 2012

Decorating!

Some days ago, I mentioned that when I'm older, I might have multiple rooms that are mine. (One can dream, I know.) Hannah said that she didn't find having one's own space to be particularly valuable. I countered, saying that I find it nice to be able to set up my room the way I like it so it is comfy to be there. Hannah said that she doesn't really get anything out of being able to control a space, though she conceded that she does need a space where she can be without anyone else. I suggested that then she wouldn't mind me decorating her room. She declined.

A few days later, Hannah decided that she will decorate her room herself. She did this by printing out a 3 foot by 3 foot photo of her general life advisor on twelve sheets of paper and putting it up on her wall.  I found this to be hilarious, but it made Mitka uncomfortable because having large portraits of revered figures gave him unpleasant associations.

His own room is decorated with artworks, some of them just printed out, and some of them more fancy. Mine has a three-panel painting of Venice, a poster I got with my admission to MIT for undergrad that I kept around for four years, a clock made out of a video card, a calendar, and a large collection of trinkets, pictured below.




1 Comments:

At October 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM , Blogger Dmitry said...

Yasha remembers the story that goes with every object (some of them pretty funny/sweet stories). This makes me jealous, because I don't remember where things are now, to say nothing of where I got them from (I have multiple bags of presents in my closet that my parents gave me for friends, but I can never remember which ones are for which friends).

Hannah and I were talking today about what we'd take when escaping from a fire. For Hannah it's a coat and her violin (and maybe a laptop). At home in Oregon the most important object I own is my giant stuffed duck Tim who was my favorite toy all my childhood. Here I'd take a math book -- currently, probably Humphreys' "Category O".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home