Saturday, August 25, 2012

pot of honey

When Yasha and I both came home last weekend, we found a jumbled assortment of foods: some left by us at the beginning of the summer, some left by Mitka a couple weeks before, and some left by the subletters.  I tend to blame everything on Mitka, so when there were two open bags of tortilla chips, one quite stale and one not as stale, I assumed that the more-stale was Mitka's and the less-stale was a subletter's.  Yasha pointed out that we'd had a beginning-of-summer party involving lots of chips, and so the more-stale chips might have been from then and shouldn't be blamed on Mitka.  When I cleaned and organized the pantry, this time I taped signs all over, camp style, labeling which foods and non-foods go where.  I don't think this will cause anyone to keep the pantry more in order, but it will give me a stronger feeling of superiority when they don't.

Yesterday I looked in the fridge to see what was in there and if any of it should be thrown out.  I'd been looking particularly warily at a quart-size plastic container of light brown liquid.  The top centimeter or so was transparent light brown, and the rest was more opaque.  I worried that Mitka had decided to keep a large amount of bean liquid, or perhaps very moldy meat broth.  When I picked up the container, it didn't slosh.  "It's frozen?  How is it frozen?"  I opened it and smelled carefully.  It smelled like honey.  The surface was smooth and shiny, like honey and unlike frozen things.
me:  "Yasha, do you think this is honey?"
Yasha:  "Maybe!  Does it smell like honey?"
me:  "Yes, that's why I asked."
Yasha:  "I guess it's honey, then."
me:  "But... why is there honey?  What happened to the original container?  Why would you keep honey in the fridge, anyway?"
Yasha:  "Maybe Mitka bought it in bulk or something.  Why the fridge?  Well, I don't know, that's where you keep food."
me:  "I guess that makes sense.  Well, good, we definitely don't need to throw this away, so it can go back in the fridge.  This time I'll label it."

2 Comments:

At August 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Bradley Alpert said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At August 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Dmitry said...

"I don't think this will cause anyone to keep the pantry more in order, but it will give me a stronger feeling of superiority when they don't." Lol.
The honey was from a parent from Inna's math circle who lives in the country and collects his own honey. The question of whether it'll kill you or not depends on how much the kid liked math circle...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home